We would encourage you to claim Free School Meals for your child if you fulfil one of the following criteria;
1) be in receipt of income support / income based job seekers allowance or income related employment and support allowance;
2) be entitled to child tax credit but not receiving working tax credit and your annual income must be below the threshold set by the government (£16,190);
3) be receiving support under part VI of the immigration and Asylum Act 1999;
4) be in receipt of the guarantee credit element of pension credit;
5) be entitled to the 4 week run on of the working tax credit due to employment ending.
Even if your child is in Foundation Stage or Key Stage 1 it is worth claiming Free School Meals as it brings additional funds into the school budget which are then guaranteed for six years.